Last month we brought you tips on ways to make your home safe when you travel, this month we bring you an awesome way to travel! Behold the bicycle! Excellent gas mileage and exercise at the same time! Since the weather is cooperating for the most part, cycling is a great way to take in the fall season. Here’s what’s new:
Since the summer of 2011, the City has added over 45 lane miles and more are on the way. As stated on the City’s Bike Rochester page, bicycling benefits include:
Bicycling Helps the Local Economy
- Almost 20 percent of the average American family’s budget is spent on transportation. Thus, more pedal power, and less fuel consumption, can result in real savings for Rochester’s families.
- Increased disposable income can result in increased spending in the local marketplace, which would boost the local economy.
- Improving bicycling conditions is a cost-effective way of optimizing existing public infrastructure.
Bicycling Communities are Healthier Communities
- Adding bicycling to the daily routine helps us stay healthier; 60% of Americans are overweight or obese, and bicycling is a great solution to the problem.
- According to the Centers for Disease Control, 30 minutes of moderate exercise (like bicycling), five days a week, can reduce the risks for illnesses such as high blood pressure, heart disease, arthritis and depression.
- Bicycle trips create zero emissions, contributing to better air quality for the Rochester region (and cleaner air for all of us to breathe)
Bicycling Communities are Strong Communities
- Improved bicycling conditions provides mobility for people who do not have cars, thereby increasing access to jobs, education, and health care.
- Cities that promote bicycling tend to retain youth, attract young families, and increase social capital.
- Improved bicycling conditions add to the vitality and quality of life of the community and provide access to recreational destinations across the region.
- Better bicycling facilities provide access to public transit, thereby increasing transportation options.
Be sure to visit the page and find out what exciting options are coming including bike boxes and cycle tracks.
Hart’s Local Grocers
Many area businesses are supporting the effort. Hart’s Local Grocers installed the city’s first bike corral and offered a discount in May to those that came in with a helmet. They also received a Community Recognition Award for promoting bicycling and bicycling safety.
Rochester Group Tours on Bikes
Now let’s say you like the idea of getting on a bicycle; you just think it would be more fun with friends. In fact, you think it would be awesome if you could actually take the show on the road and actually party with your friends as you go! Fear not! Your time has come.
Rent the PedalPub® by the hour for your next party, parade, or any event where fun is on the menu!
Arrange your good time today! Check out our routes.
From their website: Rochester Pedal Tours is a pedal powered trolley that is powered by you the guests! No motor, no assists, just you the riders. The pedal is nothing exerting, it’s not the Tour de France people. When you hit a hill you know you hit a hill, when you go downhill you will love it J We accommodate everyone from people celebrating 21st birthdays to older people enjoying an architecture tour to corporate outings. Our on board cubbies ensure ample room to store purses, hoodies, food or any decorations/props you want to bring on board. Regardless if you are doing just a bar crawl your guide will let you know about the surroundings we are passing as we are in route to our destination.
If you just so happen to be at the City Grill on East and Alexander, you can see the tour go by and wave and toast a glass while you enjoy a beverage and some great food from the comfort of your chair. That’s what we did!
If you’d like a more natural setting for your biking adventures, Rochester, NY is home to many biking trails for your to explore. And if you like to bike for a cause, Roc the Ride is coming this weekend, Saturday, Sept. 12th.
If you’d like more information on biking in Rochester, NY or if your considering a move to a more bike friendly neighborhood, we’d love to help! Contact us today!